Monday, May 20, 2013

Am I Part Alpha?

I've been watching "Alphas" season 2 on DVD.  I saw it when it originally aired, but I wanted the DVD set so I could watch the previously deleted scenes and the gag reel.  Anyway, I digress...

Sometimes I feel a lot like Rachel, well at least as far as he "super powers" go.  I can hear and smell things that most people around me don't even seem to notice.  I can't stand the "sound" of a television on "mute" or the noise a DVD player makes when the TV is off, but the machine is cranking--it drives me crazy.  For the general population who has no idea what sound I'm talking about, it's this super-high pitched noise that might as well be someone scraping their fingernails across a chalkboard.  Being able to hear such sounds can really be a nuisance.  Don't get me wrong--it's great to be blessed with fantastic hearing, but I could do without the late nights walking around the house trying to identify the source of an irritating noise that only I can hear.

I think this ability is something inherent in my genetic make-up. Decades ago, a relative of mine purchased a new home. Soon after, he couldn't sleep because of some noise coming from an unknown source that only he could hear.  Eventually, after much driving, he identified the sound as coming from a factory about a mile away.  To solve his sleep problems, he installed sound-proof windows in his house.

My sense of smell--that one is even more of an issue.  I could totally relate to Rachel from "Alphas" when John came to the office the first day.  I've worked in offices with people who wore far too much perfume or aftershave.  Usually, the end result was a pounding headache,  where nothing would dull the pain in my skull. Not to mention the sneezing or stuffy nose, depending on the exact irritant.  Trying to work in those conditions is nearly impossible, as it's impossible to concentrate.  Then, since it doesn't bother anyone else, people think you're crazy no matter how politely you ask them not to wear the previously mentioned perfume or aftershave to work.  Yes, this is one of my pet peeves.  Needless to say, I thought it was one of the most romantic gestures I'd ever seen when, John on "Alphas" brought in soap for Rachel to smell so she wouldn't be bothered by his scent/odor at work.

So, am I part Alpha?  Probably not, since the show was, after all, science fiction, but it certainly is interesting to be able to relate so well to a character with "super powers."  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment